A word from Aunty Jess… First time Flatters

This is where I don my pinny and nurture you into cooking heaven.

So… your flatmates aren’t impressed with 2-minute noodles for every meal? If you need some cooking advice, here are some good starting points:

If you are interested in learning about what to have in a kitchen, how to store foods, and basic cooking skills, I would recommend Edmonds Food for Flatters (Hodder Moa Beckett, 2001). The first thirty-five pages of this book are dedicated to setting up a kitchen, hygiene, food storage, and other handy tips. The recipes aren’t exactly revolutionary, but the advice is sound and it’s a good place to begin.
No doubt there is a copy of the Edmonds Cookery Book somewhere in your flat. This contains useful pages of conversion charts and other information. The recipes for baking are usually very reliable, although I would seldom turn to the Edmonds for main meal ideas. If you do, keep in mind that the recipes were mostly tested before New Zealanders had evolved taste buds. Therefore, you will probably have to double all herbs and spices in the recipes.

The only way you’ll get familiar with cooking is practice. Observe people you know who can cook and ask them questions. And don’t be discouraged if your meals don’t work out at times – just order pizza and try again next time.

1. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  2. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  3. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  4. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  5. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  6. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands
  7. VUW to Begin Kelburn Liquor Ban Consultation
  8. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  9. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  10. I Lift My Eyes
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos