March 15, 2004 | by  | in Music |

Chris Cox :: Places and Spaces

It is about time a New Zealander put their hand to mixing up a sexy wee dance album. Chris Cox has taken the Places and Spaces club night up in Auckland to the rest of the Country with an album you can’t help but slink around to. There are some familiar names on this album, with fellow Kiwi Mark De Clive-Lowe adding in a track, and overseas big names Bugz in the Attic also bringing forth a couple of tracks in to the mix. Cox is a master of breakbeat, mixing in soul, jazz, hip hop, dance hall and a whole lot more to produce a world class album.

Stand out tracks are many, but the opener ‘Pleasure Ride’ with the Blacktones is smooth as, and the classic ‘Loose Lips’ by Sieji is brilliant to bop to, featuring the same vocalist as Nathan Haines’s latest single, ‘Doot Dude’. The mixing is solid, seamless, and pro. This is the best dance compilation I’ve heard in a long time, and it’s even better because it is mixed by a New Zealander and put out on fledgling New Zealand label, Antipodean records. If you want to hear break beat at its best, go and buy this. It is oh so good.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos