March 15, 2004 | by  | in Music |

Chris Cox :: Places and Spaces

It is about time a New Zealander put their hand to mixing up a sexy wee dance album. Chris Cox has taken the Places and Spaces club night up in Auckland to the rest of the Country with an album you can’t help but slink around to. There are some familiar names on this album, with fellow Kiwi Mark De Clive-Lowe adding in a track, and overseas big names Bugz in the Attic also bringing forth a couple of tracks in to the mix. Cox is a master of breakbeat, mixing in soul, jazz, hip hop, dance hall and a whole lot more to produce a world class album.

Stand out tracks are many, but the opener ‘Pleasure Ride’ with the Blacktones is smooth as, and the classic ‘Loose Lips’ by Sieji is brilliant to bop to, featuring the same vocalist as Nathan Haines’s latest single, ‘Doot Dude’. The mixing is solid, seamless, and pro. This is the best dance compilation I’ve heard in a long time, and it’s even better because it is mixed by a New Zealander and put out on fledgling New Zealand label, Antipodean records. If you want to hear break beat at its best, go and buy this. It is oh so good.

1. Dear Daddy Dave
  2. The Weekly Planet
  3. Throwback T-Swizzle: Speak Now
  4. Books to Films
  5. Books to Films
  6. Still Life with Chickens
  7. Silicon Valley Season 5
  8. The Adam Portraiture Award is Anachronistic and Goofy and I Love It
  9. Things Fall Apart
  10. Nothing Looks Better Than a Head Between Your Thighs Feels and Other Shit Chat