March 15, 2004 | by  | in Music |

(Classic Album) The Rolling Stones :: Let It Bleed (1969)

Thirty five years later this album is still completely relevant, not only as a document for fans as to how cool the Stones were in the sixties, but as an example of the transition between a decade of hippiedom and one of complete excess within the rock world.

‘Gimme Shelter’ grinds away as pianos thump and Keith’s guitar gives way to Jagger’s soulful blues vocal. ‘Midnight Rambler’ grooves with Mick’s harmonica and the band enlisted the help of the London Bach Choir for the gospel tinged ‘You Can’t Always Get What You Want.’

The Stones were in a transitional phases also – Original guitarist and founding member Brian Jones was replaced by Mick Taylor, both guitarists only playing on two tracks each. Jones drowned in his swimming pool several weeks later. The Stones had shunned the beat-pop of the sixties for a more pure country and R&B sound. This would continue through the early 70s with the likes of ‘Sticky Fingers’ and ‘Exile on Main St.’

1. Intimacy and the Environment
  2. Surprise Surprise, Another US School Massacre
  3. Dear Daddy Dave
  4. The Weekly Planet
  5. Throwback T-Swizzle: Speak Now
  6. Books to Films
  7. Books to Films
  8. Still Life with Chickens
  9. Silicon Valley Season 5
  10. The Adam Portraiture Award is Anachronistic and Goofy and I Love It