March 29, 2004 | by  | in Film |

(DVD Review) Kath & Kim- Series Two

The second Kath & Kim DVD contains the second eight episodes from the popular, amusing Australian television show. Like last time, Kath, Tawaesque (Linden, maybe – Ed.) matron saint of middle aged, suburban Aussies, is subjected to her whiny, good for nothing daughter Kim. Kim’s relationship with bloke Brett is eternally tumultuous. Kim still aspires to be “effluent.” Her efforts to be a corporate wife probably don’t match the elan with which Mrs Rupert Murdoch conducts her affairs. In one of the series most embarassing (and hence brilliant) scenes, Kim asks Brett’s female boss who he has to root to get a promotion, adding that she hopes it’s not her.

Though they don’t mind taking their honeymoon at the airport, Kath and Kel have plenty of their own problems. Kel – the battling small goods butcher – berates John Howard repeatedly for the scourge of GST. “Bloody Howard…I’d like to see Howard move pork and dill [sausages] for less than 5.99.” Other highlights are Sharon’s Irish dancing. Kim as a pirate. Then there’s the episode where Kath gets aggravated by having to wait round for Telstra Clear – who obviously don’t give a fats rats – to come and fix her phone. Consumers of the world unite against these rapacious profit-gougers with their hopeless customer service- or rather lack of it!

Kath & Kim continues to cleverly satirise all the clichés about Aussies and a certain crassness of their culture. It’s by no means as good as the peerless John ‘Fred Dagg’ Clarke’s stuff, but Kath n Kim is likeably gross, with the probable exception of the scenes where Kath and Kel go au natural.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos