March 29, 2004 | by  |

(DVD Review) The Office

Like The Simpsons and Fawlty Towers, The Office is one of the greatest television programmes in the history of mankind. I don’t watch enough television to authoritatively make such statements, but the populists back me up. Anyone who has ever worked in an office knows the fake-u-mentary set in the Slough branch of Wernham Hogg paper merchants is as good as it gets. It’s impossible to single out classic episodes, ‘cos they all are.

I love all of it. Keith as Ali G. The tech geek. David as a consultant at motivational seminars. David spin-doctoring the press. David comparing himself to Jesus. David and Gareth, like Don Brash, trying to pretend they’re not bigoted, when they’re exceptionally prejudiced. You name it. It’s hardly any easier to choose particular scenes to quote. Nonetheless, one sublime example is David rhapsodising the merits of England’s shitholes when he’s fired: “My world does not end with these four walls – Slough’s a big place. And when I’m finished with Slough there’s… Reading, Aldershot, Bracknell, you know. I’ve got Didcot, Yateley…”

Nothing spectacular on the special features, but with something this wonderful who needs them? I posit that part of the reason The Office is so successful is that’s there a little bit of David Brent, a little of the would-be “chilled out entertainer,” in most of us. No one – and I’ve commiserated with a lot of people – can believe the Americans are going to lobotomize it into a remake, probably with a canned laugh track. With Brad Pitt as David Brent (yes, that’s not a typo). Humour as dumb and obvious as The Office’s is dry, delicate and side-splitting, no doubt.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. The Übermensch 50 views
  2. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 35 views
  3. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 24 views
  4. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 21 views
  5. The Bresolin Brothers 19 views
  6. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 16 views
  7. A gentleman always lets his lady cum first 16 views
  8. Shovel Knight 15 views
  9. Wellington’s Best Bookstores 12 views
  10. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 8 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more