March 22, 2004 | by  | in Music |

Goodshirt :: Fiji Baby

Fiji Baby is what follow-ups so rarely are, an album that both harnesses and improves the essence of the original album. Fiji Baby is no obvious change from 2001’s Good, it’s just a notch up the ladder – better production and song writing and, on the whole, a step up in professionalism from a band that seems to grow in confidence as their star shines brighter.

The album hums along with the opener ‘Sand’ then takes us through the punk tinged power pop of ‘Buck it Up’ and the toe tapping tunefulness of ‘Bored’- the classic Goodshirt formula of catchy riffery and floating keyboards working brilliantly on the rockier numbers. As for the ‘Sophie’-esque moments? The quieter numbers are outstanding – ‘Lucy’, the creeping melancholy of ‘My Racing Head’ and the beautiful closer ‘Fiji Baby’ all give the album an amazing balance and structure.

In 2001 I believe Good was the best album Goodshirt could have made at the time, now in 2004 I believe the same thing about Fiji Baby. Fiji Baby is an album made by a better and more experienced band than the first album – a band up to the task of bettering their wildly successful debut. Goodshirt – I am pleased to announce – are no one album wonders.

James Robinson is a university dropout turned journalist who likes to pretend he has an honours degree. Turn ons include soup, scarfs, a hot bath and some FM-smooth Kenny G-esque instrumental jazz. Turn offs include student politicians, the homeless, and people who pronounce it supposebly.

1. Dear Daddy Dave
  2. The Weekly Planet
  3. Throwback T-Swizzle: Speak Now
  4. Books to Films
  5. Books to Films
  6. Still Life with Chickens
  7. Silicon Valley Season 5
  8. The Adam Portraiture Award is Anachronistic and Goofy and I Love It
  9. Things Fall Apart
  10. Nothing Looks Better Than a Head Between Your Thighs Feels and Other Shit Chat