March 22, 2004 | by  | in Music |

Goodshirt :: Fiji Baby

Fiji Baby is what follow-ups so rarely are, an album that both harnesses and improves the essence of the original album. Fiji Baby is no obvious change from 2001’s Good, it’s just a notch up the ladder – better production and song writing and, on the whole, a step up in professionalism from a band that seems to grow in confidence as their star shines brighter.

The album hums along with the opener ‘Sand’ then takes us through the punk tinged power pop of ‘Buck it Up’ and the toe tapping tunefulness of ‘Bored’- the classic Goodshirt formula of catchy riffery and floating keyboards working brilliantly on the rockier numbers. As for the ‘Sophie’-esque moments? The quieter numbers are outstanding – ‘Lucy’, the creeping melancholy of ‘My Racing Head’ and the beautiful closer ‘Fiji Baby’ all give the album an amazing balance and structure.

In 2001 I believe Good was the best album Goodshirt could have made at the time, now in 2004 I believe the same thing about Fiji Baby. Fiji Baby is an album made by a better and more experienced band than the first album – a band up to the task of bettering their wildly successful debut. Goodshirt – I am pleased to announce – are no one album wonders.

James Robinson is a university dropout turned journalist who likes to pretend he has an honours degree. Turn ons include soup, scarfs, a hot bath and some FM-smooth Kenny G-esque instrumental jazz. Turn offs include student politicians, the homeless, and people who pronounce it supposebly.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos