March 22, 2004 | by  | in Music |

(Live Review) Ghostplane, featuring Mr. Samuel Flynn Scott and Gran Prix(Live Review) Ghostplane, featuring Mr. Samuel Flynn Scott and Gran Prix

Artificial turf, ceramic dalmatians, martinis, and an abundance of pearl jewelry; just what you would expect in Indigo on a Saturday night right? Well no, but this Saturday featured the release of Panther Valley Country Club, local band Ghostplane’s debut E.P, and polo shirts and fox furs were the norm.

Following closely on Scott’s heels came Gran Prix. I had never heard this band play before, but overheard a girl at the bar say they were “wicked”, and so, trusting her judgment, I had high hopes. I was not disappointed; Gran Prix fuse country, rock, and the wild west, with a bass line straight out of Pulp Fiction. They sound like they could feature on the soundtrack of a Western, a surf movie, or maybe just anything with John Travolta. Despite the absence of their back up vocalist, Gran Prix still pulled off their set, and provided an interesting interlude.

As soon as Ghostplane took to the stage, people begin to file up and fill the turf-covered floor. Suitably attired, Ghostplane started their set with ‘Guided By Lights’, a sublime and slow-paced piece, which doesn’t feature on their E.P, but definitely deserves to.

Something that strikes me about the members of Ghostplane is their unassuming nature. They are low key performers, with sound taking priority over theatrics and rock star stage antics. They aren’t pretentious or over the top; the martini and cigar atmosphere suited them perfectly.
Their sound itself is a unique blend of intelligent, guitar based, indie rock which takes unexpected twists and turns as in their track ‘State Hijak’, which, after following a steady walking bass line, launches into a riff reminiscent of ‘Doctor Who’.

Almost half of Ghostplane’s set were songs that don’t feature on their E.P, and it almost makes me wonder why they chose to record an E.P instead of including some of the off cuts, and making their first L.P. One such song, which did not make the cut, ‘In Your Eyes’, was met with shrieks and cheers by many of the female audience members, leaving me with the distinct impression that an L.P. would have been well received.

After an evening at the country club I left with a copy of ‘Panther Valley Country Club’ and the words of a drunken punter, still in character, running through my head, “damn good show that was, eh old boy?”

Saturday March 13th, Indigo Bar