March 15, 2004 | by  | in Music |

(Live Review) So you wanna be a rock superstar?

Goodshirt, Elemeno P, Steriogram & Autozamm
Thursday 4th March, Union Hall

Three of the biggest rock bands in New Zealand with support from a hard-rocking up-and-comer makes for an interesting bill. Goodshirt have just released a followup to a multi-platinum album; Elemeno P have just gone multi-platinum and Steriogram will no doubt head that way. With three such heavyweights on the bill you would be excused for expecting more from this evening. Tonight Union Hall was proud host to the good, the great and the downright average.

Autozamm came and went without any real impression, a bland combination of cliché. They came across as a tired impersonation of a number of different styles from bland radio rock through to overdone blues-rock. Steriogram – all the rage with their recent mega-bucks American deal – were just as lacking, their punky rap-rock songs all sounding pretty much alike. Two bands down, not a hell of a lot to crow about.

With six hit singles off their 2003 debut Love and Disrespect Elemeno P can boast a pretty huge following – a number of these people flocked to the stage in anticipation. Elemeno P pleased the crowd, running through all the favourites like ‘Fast Times in Tahoe’ and ‘Nirvana’, and throwing in their standard live covers of the Ramones’ ‘I Wanna Be Sedated’ and Jawbreakers’ ‘Boxcar’. It was a good set and as always I enjoyed watching Elemeno P. After being on the road for pretty much a year playing pretty much the same material I look forward to seeing Elemeno P later in the year with hopefully some new material.

Goodshirt, with the honour of headlining this evening’s powerhouse line up, stole the show good and proper. I love watching this band – their slightly geeky presence, mixed with doses of enthusiasm and a bloody catchy sound makes for a good show. Tight as anything, it was a bloody accomplished live set, throwing in a good mix of new and old. The crowd sung to ‘Sophie’ and bopped along to ‘Green’ and ‘Buck it Up’. To top it all off Goodshirt closed the evening with a rousing rendition of the Split Enz classic ‘Six Months in a Leaky Boat’. After an up and down night, Goodshirt closed off with a bang.

James Robinson is a university dropout turned journalist who likes to pretend he has an honours degree. Turn ons include soup, scarfs, a hot bath and some FM-smooth Kenny G-esque instrumental jazz. Turn offs include student politicians, the homeless, and people who pronounce it supposebly.

1