March 15, 2004 | by  | in Music |

(Live Review) White Men Can Dance…To Dub!

Trinity Roots, Cornerstone Roots and Kora
Union Hall, Tuesday 2nd March

Trinity Roots may have not been able to pack out Union Hall the same way that Salmonella Dub and Fat Freddy’s did last year, but this evening’s show was nothing short of what went on a year ago. In fact Trinity Roots kicked ass, far more so than Salmonella Dub do nowadays. Trinity Roots shook the house into a raging, bobbing, sweating mess – giving the 150 or so in attendance a show they won’t forget in a while.

Kora and Cornerstone Roots started the evening off – though I must confess to hearing the majority of Kora’s set while nursing a pint in Eastside below. What I did see was energetic and funky. Cornerstone Roots continued the groove with a solid set, finally putting a sound to a band I’ve been hearing a lot about. Cornerstone Roots were wicked – a further indicator of how much strength our dub and roots scene has. (Although if you close your eyes while listening to them, you could almost be listening to the voice of Phil Collins set to dub! I didn’t hold it against them.)

After a little wait, Nandor Tanczos made his way on stage to introduce the band, and from opening to closing note I loved every minute of it. Trinity Roots mixed up new material with songs off their album and EP, bringing out vocalist Stephanie Hearfield for a song. Vocalist and guitarist Warren Maxwell has the voice of an absolute angel – ably supported by a band that has an unshakeable groove that is just mesmerising to watch. The vocal sparring of Maxwell and Hearfield was absolutely jaw-dropping.

And boy did the crowd go wild! Gone it seems are the days when the accepted band-watching stance is the arms crossed, sullen face and slight head-bob combo. Men and women were unified in their desire to dance. You’d have to delve into the Fat Ladies Arms in the wee small hours of Sunday morning to find such enthusiasm and vigour from men.

This evening Trinity Roots cranked out music even this groove-less rocker wasn’t afraid to dance to. What a show!

James Robinson is a university dropout turned journalist who likes to pretend he has an honours degree. Turn ons include soup, scarfs, a hot bath and some FM-smooth Kenny G-esque instrumental jazz. Turn offs include student politicians, the homeless, and people who pronounce it supposebly.

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June