March 15, 2004 | by  | in Music |

(Live Review)Fur Patrol with the Accelerants

Fri 27th, Bar Bodega

Really terrible weather didn’t stop a considerable number of people turning up to see The Accelerants and Fur Patrol play on Friday night at Bodega. The opening act was, of course, The Accelerants, who played a really good set. They play a 60s inspired form of Rock ‘n’ Roll, with a good mix of original tunes and one or two covers, with enough honest energy, technical ability and individuality in their songs and performance to file these gentlemen in the “ones to watch” section. Ostensibly they seemed to be teetering on the edge of exploding, but never did any of the four members lose track of their place, and they proved themselves an extremely exciting live act. With some more shows these guys could be one of New Zealand’s most promising bands.

Obviously more people were there to see Fur Patrol, as it was their gig, but the Accelerants were much better. No, I shouldn’t say that, because it was Fur Patrol’s show, and the new kids from the farm who seemed to make up most of the audience thought that they were good, but they were not a particularly interesting live act. They mostly played songs from their latest album, Collider, which lends itself to live performance much better than their previous album, and combined with a few older singles, they covered a good mix of more well known songs and newer material. However, whilst Julia Deans sang really well, the band didn’t sound that great live, with the lead guitar being too quiet (especially in comparison to their recordings), the drums boringly beating out standard rock, and no risk taking in general, both musically and in their performance. Although they engaged the crowed to an extent, they lack imagination in their whole musical style, and the attempt to push a harder sound than a few years ago hasn’t propelled the group above mere post-Shihad New Zealand heavy rock mediocrity. They sound better on album than they do live, and on Friday they barely rose above generic rock complacency, with The Accelerants putting on a thoroughly more enticing show.

1