March 29, 2004 | by  | in Music |

Paris :: Sonic Jihad

Could hip-hop be the African-American’s Al-Jazeera? Sonic Jihad is leading hip-hop’s political renaissance. Paris, the rapper behind the controversial ‘Bush Killa’, returns with his most blistering and brilliant smackdown of America’s ills yet.

Paris eviscerates the lies and horrors of George W’s administration: “War on Terror,” war in Iraq, fear and control, erosion of civil liberties, crony capitalism and racism. He savages police brutality. He excoriates the embarassing state of hip-hop: fake “gangstas,” mindless violence, misogyny, “bling-bling”, consumerism and censorship. (See Paris’ excellent website http://www.guerillafunk.com/ for more on his themes and lyrics, a full discography and a series of interesting articles; his claims are a little extravagant in a couple of places, but, then again, this is hip-hop.)

Paris’ lyrics, for example “Still be the one to expose the beast (when it’s) / Still un-American to be for peace (yeah),” are inspired. His presence, flow and delivery are awesome, well complemented by funky beats.

Add to this contributions by fellow visionaries Dead Prez (the duo behind Let’s Get Free and the recent Get Free or Die Tryin’) and Public Enemy (Paris is producing the godfathers’ new album Rebirth of a Nation, due out later this year) and you have a killer album. Intelligent and articulate, angry and intense, potent and poignant, it will probably become a classic.