(Recipe) Brunch: Meal of the Gods

Brunch needs no introduction. A heavenly meal that graces us on Sunday (usually), curing hangovers and acting as a vehicle for tales of debauchery and sin from the weekend just been. Amen to that.

Corn Fritter Stack
Corn fritters offer an easy alternative to that old Bacon-and-eggs routine. This recipe is an adaptation of a recipe from Sophie Gray’s Destitute Gourmet series. These cookbooks provide a New Zealand perspective, and offer ‘trendy, mouth-watering and affordable meals for families watching their budget’. Sweeet.

For the fritters:
2 C self-raising flour
2 eggs
2 C milk
2 cans (1.5 C) whole kernel corn
4 T chopped spring onion (or 1 grated onion)
2 T sweet chilli sauce
1 – 2 handfuls chopped coriander
Salt and pepper

Fresh tomato salsa (see Salient, issue 02)
Bacon (or avocado/spinach for vegos)
Sour cream

Mix flour, egg and milk in a bowl, whisking well until smooth. Add the rest of the fritter ingredients, including salt and pepper to taste. Heat oil in a frying pan and cook tablespoonsful of the mixture. When bubbles begin to appear in the centre of the fritter, turn over and cook the other side. Keep the fritters warm in an oven heated to 120ºC, on a paper-towel-lined tray.

Make a stack of corn fritters with layers of crispy bacon, fresh tomato salsa, and a nice dollop of sour cream. Instead of bacon, use fresh blanched spinach or sliced avocado for a vegetarian alternative.
Should serve 6 – 8.

French Toast
I prefer French toast in its savoury form, with bacon, eggs, and the like. Alternatively, try sweet French toast with bacon, banana and maple syrup (it’s so hot right now), or berries and crème fraiche.

Use nice, thick-cut white bread to make French toast. If you have the energy, pop down to the bakery and get some Ciabatta bread. You old fancy pants.

Whisk 2 eggs with a quarter of a cup of milk. If you are going savoury, add salt and pepper. If sweet, add 2 t caster sugar, some cinnamon and a dash of vanilla essence. Dip the bread in the mix, and fry in a small amount of butter for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden. Serve with your preferred topping. (This should do about 6 slices of bread.)

1. Wellington
  2. “Bet the next Salient is going to milk this dry”
  3. How to Find Love in Wellington
  4. On Violence
  5. Salient’s New Zealander of the Year
  6. The Jet Plane, the Typewriter and the Art Dealer
  7. We Drank With Grant Robertson So You Wouldn’t Have To
  8. Wellington’s Coffee Scene: Low Budgement Day
  9. The Cocktail Diaries
  10. We’re really sorry that the last week of news is so depressing

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.