(Review) Sweet Fanny Anne’s

By the bus interchange, Rutherford House. Ph 472 7777

My first Rutherford House experience last Monday was not all good. After working off a hangover I had acquired from my champagne breakfast (sweeties), I was greeted at the Pipitea campus by the sterile shining-newness of Rutherford house… with its ridiculous one-couch-to-every-hundred-people ratio. Searching for coffee to ease my woes, I headed back to the bus stop from whence I came, and noticed Sweet Fanny-Anne’s. I was already chuffed by the name of this establishment, so imagine how much I perked up when I discovered that SFA’s is also a great café! Finally, decent food can be found on campus. Sweet Fanny-Anne’s offers a range of fresh, tasty café style food. Sandwich flavours include chicken, slow-roasted tomato and aioli. The feta pate, roast pumpkin, rocket and relish panini also caught my eye. Their baking is of the genuine variety – thankfully, SFA’s have not been tempted to produce those colossal scones and muffins you so often find in cafes. In addition to counter food, an all-day menu features classics such as the BLT ($7), Bacon and Eggs on toast ($9), or Pancakes with Berries, Crème Fraiche and Maple Syrup ($12). The coffee served is Havana, and can be had in the comfortable (yet sometimes overflowing) café. Although they have a ready-made market – being surrounded by hungry students and staff – they still make an effort to provide good quality food and friendly service, which is refreshing. Unlike some establishments at university, they even have eftpos – how novel!! So now I frolic to Rutherford House three times weekly for my fix of SFA. Sweet Fanny-Anne’s, that is.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties