(Review) Theo’s Greek Taverna

13 Pirie Street.
Ph: 801 8896
www.theosgreektaverna.co.nz

As you enter Theo’s Greek Taverna, its unassuming façade gives way to a Grecian courtyard – with red bricks, whitewashed walls, and turquoise columns. Greek music filters through the grapevine, and on Friday and Saturday nights you can experience a live Greek band. There’s even plate-breaking at $4 a plate!

Theo’s offers a wide range of food, catering well for both vegetarians and carnivores. Highlights include the large range of tasty Greek ‘Mezedes’ (appetisers) on offer, made with beautiful fresh ingredients. If you can’t decide which to have, there are platters for $10 a head – we ordered the ‘Mixed platter’ for three and received a generous selection.

Their mains are in the mid-to-expensive end of the price range – from $18.50 to $29.50 (for the scotch fillet). The menu features Greek classics such as Moussaka (a mince and aubergine lasagne-type dish), Spanakopita (spinach and feta parcels) and Kleftiko (lamb shanks). I would recommend the Prawn Saganaki, a flavoursome dish incorporating whole prawns in a delicately spiced tomato sauce with rice pilaf and feta. On the whole, the mains were found to be a little lacking compared with the Mezedes. Although the portion sizes are huge, they erred to the bland end of the flavour spectrum.

My advice would be to order a selection of Mezedes rather than the mains, and use the cash you save to sup on wine or ouzo (potent Greek liquor) to your hearts content. Be warned, however, that at peak times (8pm – 10pm Friday and Saturday) there is a $20 minimum food charge per person, so you may wish to come outside of those times. All-in-all there is potential for a lot of fun to be had at Theo’s, experiencing Greek frivolity and food alike.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos