March 8, 2004 | by  | in Music |

Stylus 77 :: Stylus 77

Local band Stylus 77’s eponymous 6-track debut EP is another great release from Capital Recordings, underlining the diversity of the local music scene. This three piece are often compared to Ben Harper, but this is mainly to do with the use of slide guitar on both sides, because being a band makes Stylus 77 a whole other entity altogether.

The combination of Anthony Davies’ jazzy drumming; Matt Newdick’s funky bass, Andy Dick’s mastery of various types of guitars; and his soulful lyrics make for an experience much greater than the sum of its parts. The EP contains the songs:

‘Differences’, a soulful number reminiscent of Trinity Roots’ ‘Little Things’; ‘Without You’ which is usually the raucous set closer, but is slightly more laid back on the album; ‘Good Things,’ and the student radio favourite, ‘Goodbye,’ as the closing track.

The only disappointing thing about the EP is the crappiness of the lyrics e.g. ‘I’m out of my brain/ I’m going insane,’ ‘can you help me Superman/ ‘cause I’m doing all I can.’ All in all, it’s a good first release worth parting with your money for, or you could just borrow it from the library.