March 15, 2004 | by  | in Music |

Tubbs :: Good Days, Better Nights

New Zealander Chris Tubbs, has spent a majority of the last seven years in the U.K. and around the world DJing. Formerly a member of the Dirty Beatniks live ensemble for Wall of Sound, Tubbs has returned home to record his debut solo effort. Within are 11 tracks of eclectic funky bass rhythms and grooves.

If Good Days, Better Nights sounds remarkably South Pacific then there’s a reason. Tubbs employed the skills of several Wellington musicians, including Chris Faiumu (Mu) of Fat Freddy’s Drop who sits in the engineer’s chair for this one. Songs like ‘Useless’ and ‘Five Day Night (Fat Freddy’s Drop Remake)’ stand out for their vocal melodies, the latter once again demonstrating Mu’s fabulous soulful voice.

Tubbs has a keen ear for funk rhythm and the album production is smooth and accessible. Good Days, Better Nights is relaxed with respect to the arrangements of most songs on the album. This means you won’t find any verse/chorus/verse/chorus three-minute pop songs here ladies and gentlemen. However, to the album’s disadvantage, a few of the songs clock in well over seven minutes and don’t really get to the point. It’s probably unfair to say that songs like ‘I Feel’ and ‘The Storm’ are filling in gaps, however, they don’t tend to build but rather fade and seep into the successive tracks. Good Days, Better Nights is certainly designed to play from one end to the other without any pauses. And rather than celebrating or dancing, this album makes me feel mellow and sleepy – in a good way of course.

Good Days, Better Nights is well worth checking out. Seriously! And if you can’t get hold of it, don’t fret! I’m sure many of the cafés in our fine city will let you vibe to their copy until the sun comes up…

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America