April 5, 2004 | by  | in Opinion |

A Cinematic Guide to Feminism: From The Getaway to Hannibal

The infamous Mr. X actually turns out to be a women. A pioneering female villain, paving way for the 1997 extravaganza Batman and Robin where the caped crusader and his ass-kicking boy pal Robin are put through hoops by Uma Thurman’s Oscar™ deserving performance as Poison Ivy. It was frankly stunning in its reality.

Now in 2004 anything goes. We have females who can kick butt just as much as men – 2003’s Kill Bill is a text-book example of this (Uma Thurman as The Bride continuing her run of ground-breaking cinematic roles). We have women who can solve mysteries – take Ashley Judd’s justice-fighting character in High Crimes or Clarice Starling in Hannibal 10 years on from Silence of the Lambs (Julianne Moore doing her bit again for womankind) in 10 years Clarice has gone from being a scared uncertain student to killing drug dealers and fighting Hannibal Lecter. What a transformation!

Men no longer steal the limelight. Women are heroes too. If a man can do it – in today’s cinematic times a woman can too… And who says mainstream American cinema is not a good indicator of relevant social trends?

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this