April 5, 2004 | by  | in Music |

(Classic Album) Love :: Forever Changes (1967)

Formed in Los Angeles, California in 1965, Love have gained notoriety as the years have passed. As time goes on critics seem to realise the importance of this group’s influence on others to follow in the folk and psychedelic tradition this band epitomises. The album begins with the Latin tinged folk of ‘Alone Again Or’, acoustic guitars and brass serenade throughout the song’s flamenco breeze. Where Love are amazing is their flawless encompassing of Byrds-style folk and guitarist Bryan Maclean’s Hendrix-esque emotive guitar; a fine example is the outro on ‘A House Is Not A Motel.’

Forever Changes was the group’s last studio album as a collective line up. Songwriter/vocalist Arthur Lee would continue with solo efforts penned under the name Love to little acclaim. This album stands as a perfect farewell to one of the best groups of the West Coast folk scene in the 1960s.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this