April 5, 2004 | by  | in Opinion |

(Review) McDonald’s saladsplus

At a McDonald’s near you
www.mcdonalds.co.nz

The (not-so) subliminal messaging during NZ Idol on Sunday night had me wondering about McDonald’s saladsplus menu. McDonald’s isn’t exactly where I’d go for a salad, but their re-branding had me wondering. So, in the name of bringing the truth to Salient, I decided to throw some of my money at the McDonald’s corporation and try saladsplus. I needn’t say anything about the ambience, décor, or service at McDonald’s as I’m sure you have all experienced its charming form at one time or another. The new menu, according to the propaganda sheet is all about ‘food that is light yet high in taste’. It also has something to do with Sarah Ulmer. The menu features gastronomical genius such as: crisp garden salad, tuna salad, smoked chicken salad, salad foldover, chicken foldover, a fruit smoothie, yoghurt, and fruit. That’s the menu in its entirety, not exactly revolutionary or extensive, but easy to package and market as healthy. I had the chicken foldover and the yoghurt, with a diet coke, totalling $11. The foldover was ok – essentially a toasted bread folded and filled with smoked chicken, salad, and dressing. The yoghurt was ok too, basically a Fresh’n’Fruity yoghurt with a scoop of Kellogg’s Just Right sold for $3.50. On the whole, it was a pretty run of the mill lunch. Admittedly, I thought it would be worse; being that McDonald’s is a house of disgustingness. Another surprise was in the presentation of the food – in that the meals look remotely similar to their pictures on the menu! However, if you had $11 to spend on a healthy lunch, you could do a lot better. Or better still, make a chicken sandwich yourself! Anyway, if you’re heading near McDonald’s, chances are you’re not a health nut… so gowaaan, chow down on some fries and a burger, and feel horribly guilty – just like you should.

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn