February 14, 2005 | by  | in Music |

48MAY – Beach Party Animals!

At the start of 2003, four friends were drawn together by a single realisation – music should be synonymous with fun. If it’s not fun, it’s a waste of time. With this code in mind, 48May was born.

Jon Austin (vocals, guitar), Captain Hook (guitar, vocals), Jarod Brown (drums, vocals) and Shannon Brown (bass, vocals) were friends well before 48May. Hook and Jon went to school together and have been writing music together for years, while the Brown brothers are both well-known on the New Zealand music circuit for their roles in bands such as Mama Said and Tadpole. Each hailing from a different former band, every member contributes a certain musical dynamic that, combined, gives 48May its unique edge. As top New Zealand DJ Mike Puru so succinctly put it: “Sometimes a cupboard full of a mixture of ingredients can be thrown together – and the result is an amazing meal. The same applies [to] 48May”.

Described as Sum 41 meets Foo Fighters with a hint of Def Leppard, 48May will be rocking the Beach Party and have promised to dress up so get in there and check them out. We have a copy of their excellent album, “The Mad Love” to give away, so check out the comp page in this issue.

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America