February 21, 2005 | by  | in Film |

Classic Film Review: Up in Smoke

I thought I’d start the classic film columns with a film that typifies summer. And to get into the spirit of Up in Smoke, I thought I’d watch and review it stoned. For legal and employment purposes I am not stoned and have never taken any illegal drugs in any form ever. Furthermore Salient does not in any way condone the use of marijuana. It does however highly recommend P.

Up in Smoke tells the story of two men. It’s an epic journey of sorts, where they metaphorically expand their minds and all those around them. I like Chong the best. I think it is because he was on That 70s Show. He was funny on That 70s Show Although Joe next to me disagrees. But since I am writing, I get to have the last word and say he was funny on That 70s Show.

Anyway, the plot of Up in Smoke seems to move so fast that I can’t remember all the goings-on. It is very confusing, but that’s all right, because there is some very funky background music. They are driving to Mexico, hotly pursued by some bumbling cops because they want to score some weed. I’ll tell you what though – Mexicans have some of the coolest words around – fajitas, enchiladas, tequila. I’ve got to learn Mexican some day.

But then they end up driving a big van made out of marijuana. Only they don’t know that it is made out of marijuana. Hilarious hijinks ensue, and the uptight policeman (he looks like Judge Reinhold but he isn’t) not only gets pissed on – twice – but also stoned. Cheech and Chong then form a band.

This movie is very funny. I think it should be compulsory viewing for anyone over eighteen. Also to anyone from United Future. Because it must be boring being a politician sometimes.

Up in Smoke
Directed by Lou Adler
United States 1978

Brannavan Gnanalingam has come a long way from being born in the teeming metropolis of Colombo, Sri Lanka. He may be known as feature writer for Salient, but is also the only man in history to have simultaneously donated both his kidneys. He is also an amateur rapper going under the moniker Brantank and hopes to win a Grammy.

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn