February 21, 2005 | by  | in News |

John Howard Visits NZ

Australian Prime Minister John Howard arrived in Auckland on Saturday for his annual meeting with Helen Clark.

This year’s agenda includes the regional implications of the Tsunami disaster, developments in counter-terrorism, development in the Pacific and the Closer Economic Relations treaty.

However, Australia’s non-participation in the Kyoto Protocol will not be discussed. “The positions of both countries on the issue are quite clear,” said Clark.

Howard’s visit two years ago was met by hundreds of protesters angry at Australia’s involvement in the US-led invasion of Iraq. The protesters chanted for three hours during Howard’s official banquet while 200 police officers guarded Parliament – an unprecedented level of security for a visiting Australian PM. Five arrests were made and the Filipino ambassador was knocked to the ground by Police during that protest.

Parliamentary security told Salient that they maintain a normal operational standard of security for all state visits and they are not planning any elevated measures for Howard’s visit.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.