February 14, 2005 | by  | in Features |

Places to View Art in Wellington

You can’t live in Wellington and without experiencing the arts scene, just like you can’t visit Napier without touring the wineries and you can’t go to Dunedin without… umm… let me get back to you on that.

Anyway, it’s essential that all of you visit at least some of these galleries. If you’re into art, get to it! If you’re not normally, you’ll need to be temporarily or you’ve missed half of the Wellington experience. Save this for a rainy day (or, more likely, for when you’ve got four exams to study for) and you never know – you might even enjoy yourself! You can also pick up a copy of What’s on in Wellington or The Arts Map for free, or Art Zone magazine is $3.95 and is a guide to what’s going on at the moment in galleries nationwide.

Galleries
City Gallery (Civic Square; open daily 10am-5pm):
The City Gallery is the centre of the centre of art. It was the first significant non-collecting exhibition-based public gallery in New Zealand and has achieved a reputation for innovation and style.
The City Gallery also houses the Michael Hirschfeld Gallery. This one always blows my mind – the exhibitions change monthly and they are always fresh and exciting.

Adam Art Gallery ( VUW Gate 3 Kelburn Pde [by SUB]; open Tuesday – Sunday, 11am-5pm):
Another world-class public gallery, the Adam is as well known for its architecture as its quality exhibitions. The Adam also manages the University’s Art Collection, which you should also look out for. There are over 240 New Zealand artworks on permanent display around campus.

Academy Galleries (Queens Wharf; hours vary with exhibitions):
An architecturally award winning space which holds regular exhibitions featuring recent work by New Zealand artists.

National Library Gallery (Corner Molesworth and Aitken Sts; hours vary with exhibitions):
The National Library exhibitions are based on the collections of the Alexander Turnbull Library.

Dealer Galleries Around Town
There are tons of dealer galleries in Wellington.
Major dealer galleries include Bartley Nees (147 Cuba St; open Tuesday to Friday, 11am-5.30pm), Tinakori (132 Featherston St; open business hours), Ferner (128 Featherston St; open business hours), Mark Hutchins (level 1, 82 Willis St; open Wednesday to Friday 1.30am – 5.30pm and Saturday 11am-3pm) and Christopher Moore (35 Ghuznee St; open business hours).

Ora and Kura on Allen Street (open business hours) display contemporary New Zealand art with an ‘ethnic’ or indigenous feel. Both include a gift shop and Ora also has a café. Tamarillo (102-108 Wakefield St; open business hours) showcases contemporary art and has a gift-shop feel, but don’t let that put you off – beautiful works such as Ariel’s coffee cups made of leaf skeletons make it worth the visit. Emerge (267 Wakefield St; open daily 10am-6pm) is similar, selling art that borders on design, but again has fantastic paintings and sculptures.

1