February 28, 2005 | by  | in Opinion |

REVIEW: K K Malaysian Restaurant

K K Malaysian Restaurant, 54 Ghuznee St, 385 6698

There is no doubt in my mind that going to K K Malaysian is one of the highlights of returning to Wellington. I’ve no idea what the K K stands for, so let’s go with Kickass Kai. Need I say more? Apparently so…

K K is one of many Malaysian establishments in Wellington where a decent feed can be had for less than $10. However, as it is a personal favourite of mine, I will now display my unashamed devotion to this restaurant.

Situated in its small Ghuznee Street premises, K K Malaysian produces scrumptious and amazingly cheap Malaysian food for one and all. I’d recommend going for anything of the ‘sambal’ variety – chicken or seafood cooked in a sweet and sour chilli sauce with tomatoes and onions. Served with rice, Prawn Sambal ($13.50) wins in my books, but Fish Sambal ($10.50) and Chicken Sambal ($9.50) are also a hit.

Other highlights from the menu include Kung Po beef ($9.50) – beef stir-fried in chilli, onion and peanuts in a rich sauce; Beef Rendang ($8.50) – a dry, fragrant curry with lots of coconut; or any of the Laksas ($8 – $9.50) – noodles, seafood and tofu in a coconut cream soup. Traditional Malaysion favourites such as Mee Goreng, Nasi Goreng, and Roti Chanai are also good.

Vegetarians are well provided for at K K. All vego dishes are $8, and I have it on good authority that Mee Goreng is the way to go (egg noodles stir-fried with veges and tofu in Malaysian spices).

One drawback arises in that K K is not licensed, so alcoholic fun cannot be combined with the gluttony that will ensue at K K. But I don’t care, and neither should you. K K is a great place to dine before a movie or gig, when hostel food is shite, or you just can’t be arsed cooking. Yay!

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn