February 28, 2005 | by  | in News |

Student Loan Interest Held

The student loan interest rate will stay at 7% for the year beginning 1 April 2005. The base interest rate (excluding inflation adjustment) has fallen from 5.5% to 4.2%.

Associate Revenue Minister David Cunliffe noted that about two-thirds of borrowers received some kind of interest write-off in the year ended March 2004, which amounted to $208m. During the same period, loan-holders repaid $447m.

According to 2001 figures, 20% of those who last borrowed in 1997 had completely repaid their loans, while around 50% had not made any progress in reducing their debt. For those who last borrowed in 1994, nearly 40% have repaid their loans, while 30% have yet to make a dent in theirs, seven years after completing their studies.

Those having trouble with their debt were slightly more likely to be male and Maori or Pasifika.

As of June 2004, 418,761 people – 13.2% of the population above 15 years of age – have a student loan.

1. Am I my skin?
  2. The Trauma of the Non-Voter
  3. Marshall Islands deliberate whether to ban nuclear weapons
  4. Vanity Fair — W. M. Thackeray
  5. Her Legacy
  6. GIG GUIDE
  7. The Fury of [our] own Momentum: Twin Peaks, Protest, and the Bomb
  10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
brigid

I’m Not Sure How I Feel: Disillusionment With Elections

: - SPONSORED - This post-election sentiment was written prior to the election, due to both the limitations of print and the pervasiveness of this disillusionment beyond the election’s outcome. If there was a revolution over the weekend, some of these thoughts can be disregarded.