February 27, 2006 | by  | in Opinion |

And we’re off…

Well it’s the start of Victoria’s 107th academic year. 2006 promises to be a great and fun year for students. This week make sure you get to as much of Orientation as you possibly can. As you will see in this Salient and on posters around campus we have a great line up of bands and fun activities. You’ll have the opportunity to join one of our many sports and cultural clubs at our clubs day in the quad at Kelburn campus.

There will be lots of giveaways, a lot of people around and lot of fun.

The start of the university year also offers up many challenges for us students. In a week or two you’ll be starting assignments and weekly tutorial readings. Many of you will already have sorted out a flat or accommodation, but a few will still be sorting that out this week. Many students will be looking for jobs so you have some money while you study (remember to check out the new Student Job office on Mount St). Remember that VUWSA is here to help students so if you have any problems come in and see us. We have offices on the Ground Floor of the Student Union Building in Kelburn, an office at Pipitea in the Law School that opened in the middle of last year, and an office at Karori next to the common room. Come in and see us, as we are always happy to help.

This year also offers many challenges to VUWSA. Many of the current exec stood on tickets to extend and improve VUWSA services to students. We are trying to make sure that our satellite campuses get the same access to services by us and by the University.

We are also looking at improving the democratic structures of the organisation. We are looking at various ways we can get greater participation and feedback from students. It’s important that VUWSA is constantly getting its direction from its members (which are all of you students).

Starting this process off VUWSA has 3 new executive positions for 2006, which were added to the constitution at last years VUWSA AGM. These positions are: International Officer, Queer Officer and Environmental Officer. A bi-election is being held for these from March 21st to 27th. If you wish to stand in this bi-election come and fill out a nomination form at the VUWSA offices. Notices will be up around the University about this.

Even if standing in elections isn’t your cup of tea there are plenty of other ways to get involved. If you see me, or any other members of the VUWSA team around campus come up and say hello. We are always really keen to hear your suggestions and get your feedback on how things are going.

Hope you have a great week.

1