February 27, 2006 | by  | in Film |

Classic Film Review – Wayne’s World 2

I’m pretty ecstatic university has begun. The holidays were cool for a while, but after two and a half months of nothing, life seemed to have no meaning. I started to feel congested and stale, something only an enema would fix. And what an enema it was. I’m talking about Wayne’s World 2, the equally funny and often overlooked sequel of Wayne’s World!

The story follows on from the first – Wayne (the lovable Mike Myers) and Garth (goofy Dana Carvey) still have their show, Cassandra (Tia Carrere) and Wayne are still together, but so much more happens in this film. Hit with the ice-cold stab of becoming an adult and doing something useful with his life, Wayne organises the hippest music festival on his side of the world – Waynestock! Mix in a teaspoon relationship of woes and hilarity with Cassandra and Honey Hornée (Kim Basinger), a tablespoon of cameo appearances from Aerosmith to Meat Loaf, and to complete the whole Wayne’s World 2 experience, a cup of intentionally stupid kung-fu with bad dubbing pre-Kung Pow and you’ve got in my opinion a pretty kick-ass film!

What could be funnier than Wayne’s World huh? Surely this sequel would pale in comparison to the first, a film which gave me so many fond childhood memories. Co-written by Myers again, Wayne’s World 2 is more amusing than the first because its surreal factor is through the roof. What better way to break the monotony of life than absurd legal surrealism? Naked Indians in the desert, great stories involving bludgeoning to death shop keepers with their own shoes for 1000 M & M’s. This surely is a film to watch, especially at the beginning of the year when the feeling of fun and silliness still lingers in the air.

Wayne’s World 2… I salute you, SHWING!

DIRECTED BY STEPHEN SURJIK
United States, 1993

1