February 27, 2006 | by  | in News |

IIML Makes Fundraising Deadline … Just

The fundraising challenge set for the International Institute of Modern Letters (IIML) has been successfully met, but with not long to spare.

IIML’s founding patron and American businessman Glenn Schaeffer set the institute a three year challenge to raise one million dollars for the MA writing programme, promising to match every New Zealand dollar raised with an American one.

Although around a third of the money was raised in the last couple of months, by the deadline of 31 December it looked as if they were going to be just short of the one million, says IIML Director Bill Manhire. However, an email sent the day before the deadline by a donor offering to make up the remainder wasn’t opened until 10 January because of the University holidays.

“So it wasn’t so much the eleventh hour as the thirteenth hour”, says Manhire. Although he was happy with the result, he was “pleased it’s over”, so he could go back to teaching and writing.

The money, which at current exchange rates will add to just over two and a half million New Zealand dollars will be put into an endowment fund, possibly to go towards annual fellowships for graduates of the MA programme.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,