February 27, 2006 | by  | in News |

IIML Makes Fundraising Deadline … Just

The fundraising challenge set for the International Institute of Modern Letters (IIML) has been successfully met, but with not long to spare.

IIML’s founding patron and American businessman Glenn Schaeffer set the institute a three year challenge to raise one million dollars for the MA writing programme, promising to match every New Zealand dollar raised with an American one.

Although around a third of the money was raised in the last couple of months, by the deadline of 31 December it looked as if they were going to be just short of the one million, says IIML Director Bill Manhire. However, an email sent the day before the deadline by a donor offering to make up the remainder wasn’t opened until 10 January because of the University holidays.

“So it wasn’t so much the eleventh hour as the thirteenth hour”, says Manhire. Although he was happy with the result, he was “pleased it’s over”, so he could go back to teaching and writing.

The money, which at current exchange rates will add to just over two and a half million New Zealand dollars will be put into an endowment fund, possibly to go towards annual fellowships for graduates of the MA programme.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. Wellington
  2. “Bet the next Salient is going to milk this dry”
  3. How to Find Love in Wellington
  4. On Violence
  5. Salient’s New Zealander of the Year
  6. The Jet Plane, the Typewriter and the Art Dealer
  7. We Drank With Grant Robertson So You Wouldn’t Have To
  8. Wellington’s Coffee Scene: Low Budgement Day
  9. The Cocktail Diaries
  10. We’re really sorry that the last week of news is so depressing
Kowloon

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.