February 27, 2006 | by  | in News |

IIML Makes Fundraising Deadline … Just

The fundraising challenge set for the International Institute of Modern Letters (IIML) has been successfully met, but with not long to spare.

IIML’s founding patron and American businessman Glenn Schaeffer set the institute a three year challenge to raise one million dollars for the MA writing programme, promising to match every New Zealand dollar raised with an American one.

Although around a third of the money was raised in the last couple of months, by the deadline of 31 December it looked as if they were going to be just short of the one million, says IIML Director Bill Manhire. However, an email sent the day before the deadline by a donor offering to make up the remainder wasn’t opened until 10 January because of the University holidays.

“So it wasn’t so much the eleventh hour as the thirteenth hour”, says Manhire. Although he was happy with the result, he was “pleased it’s over”, so he could go back to teaching and writing.

The money, which at current exchange rates will add to just over two and a half million New Zealand dollars will be put into an endowment fund, possibly to go towards annual fellowships for graduates of the MA programme.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop