February 15, 2006 | by  | in News |

NT Fraudster Behind Bars

Former Ngai Tauria (NT) Treasurer Wi Nepia has been sentenced to two years and two months imprisonment after being found guilty of fraud.

Nepia was sentenced in November last year after he defrauded the Maori students’ association of over $160,000 between June 2001 and July 2003. Most of the money went to fund his
gambling addiction.

In sentencing Nepia, Judge Mackintosh told the court Nepia had transferred the money in 19 transactions into a bank account of the Nga Puawai Kohanga Reo, where he was also treasurer. From the Kohanga Reo’s account he transferred the money to a personal account.

The fraud was uncovered by Nepia’s successor as treasurer, who discovered a forged audit report in early 2004.

Nepia was given credit for his early guilty plea and remorse, along with his offer to donate his body to the University for the purposes of medical research.

NT Tumuaki Maryjane Waru was “relieved” to see Nepia behind bars, but had hoped for a heavier sentence. It was good to finally be able to put the past behind them and move forward, she says.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.