February 27, 2006 | by  | in Music |

The Sneaks – You all Suck

It’s appropriate that The Sneaks are playing in the Quad today, because after listening to this EP, all I can say is, go and see them live. Not that this isn’t a fine effort for a debut. It is, it’s bloody great. But they’re just. So. Much. Better. Live. Anyway, the album: With tongues firmly in cheeks, The Sneaks bound their way gleefully through six tracks about love, lust, dirty frenchmen, crappy pretentious scensters, and North Shore sluts, armed with their squally guitar-pop-on-ritalin sound and truly excellent lyrics. Title track ‘You All suck’ is as sarky as they come, (You’re lucky you’re good looking, ‘cause you sound like shit…You wanna be a big star, I wanna be the beach boys) replete with snarly pop-punk guitar and hand claps. I like hand claps. I think they sound neat. Moving along, The Ramones couldn’t have written a better, dumber song than ‘Gimme Some Reparations’ if they tried. And then there’s my favourite track, ‘French Tickler,’ a Gainsbourg-bothering surf-pop pisstake. I don’t know what the French guy is saying, but I’m pretty sure it’s something hot. Specially ‘cause of singer James moaning afterwards, ‘It was my first time…Love makes me drunk…I’m only sixteen- I’m telling on you!’ So in summation, I’m a bit miffed they didn’t put the one about the zombie cheerleaders on the EP. Go see them in the quad today.

BORN WITH a cigarette in one hand and The Trial in other, Bea meant to go on as she started. Music wasn’t her first love, but her first love ended in a fight over rightful ownership of a Velvet Underground LP and the kitchen knife, so she chose the kinder option and stuck with it. In her spare time she enjoys casting aspersions, skulking, and making sweeping statements. She never checks her facts: figures it’s a way to live a little, to have arguments with people, then meet them. She’s currently writing a collection of short stories inspired by Schopenhauer’s manifesto of suffering and the Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster. When it gets published, she’s pretty sure that boy will want to hold her hand.

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June