February 27, 2006 | by  | in News |

Vic News In Brief

All is running smoothly at the Student Notes Distribution Centre as students purchase their course materials for the new university year. Apart from the few that are not yet available, course materials are in good supply; and students can anticipate a relatively hassle-free note- buying spree at the centre – located on the ground floor of the Student Union Building.

Former International Relations Professor Ralph Pettman has slammed University management in an article printed in the Dominion Post last week. He accuses the University of being run by ‘line managers’ and says many good staff have already left. His attitude is, however, hardly surprising with his attempt to set up a graduate school of International Relations “rejected by management” – twice.

The Pipitea campus is now home to a new gym – Pipitea Fitness – courtesy of a joint venture between VUWSA and Victoria University. The VUWSA Trust funded the set up of the gym, while the Union is paying for staff and equipment. Members of the Kelburn campus Rec Centre are free to make use of the gym, which can be found on the basement level of Rutherford House.

Weir House has returned some parts of the VUWSA student orientation packs because of content containing alcohol and party pill advertising. Melissa Douglas, Student Welfare Co-ordinator of Weir House, says that although it is recognised that students will over indulge in alcohol, it was against the philosophy of Weir to distribute the content.