March 20, 2006 | by  | in Music |

Albums for All Occasions: Album for the wee small hours

Loveless
My Bloody Valentine

I don’t mean the smokey depressed Sinatra-style small hours. That’s another time. I mean those times when you arrive home at 7am, fucked off your face six ways from Sunday, and clutching a handful of shredded posters you ripped off walls on your paranoid stumble home. Don’t kid yourself, buddy, you’re not going to sleep for at least another 24 hours. Put all thoughts of bed and and a relaxing David Gray assisted comedown from your mind. The last thing you need right now is lyrically challenged muzak. And that’s where Loveless by My Bloody Valentine comes in. A dark and delightful slice of swirling distortion and fuzz, this represents the best of the ‘noise’ bands. Back in the early nineties, the British/Irish band was less interested in such mundane concerns as lyrics, melodies and choruses, as they were in pushing the boundaries of what could be physically wrung from a guitar, bass, drums and vocals. Thus what you get is velvety – wall after wall of off-kilter soundscapes, and the most accurate sonic description of that tingling fizzy ache you get in your cheekbones after far too much alcohol, cigarettes and everything, really. It’s not nice. It’s not easy, and it sure ain’t pretty. But it is an absolutely fucking gorgeously twisted pure sound. Your mind is already mangled beyond all recognition, OK? Don’t bother trying to fix it. You might as well just put this on the stereo and enjoy the next several hours of grinding your teeth and ingesting tea by the potful.

As a neat little side note for all you indie kids, the term ‘shoegazer,’ which was originally coined by the British press to describe bands who employed the layered guitar sound pioneered by MBV, originated from the band’s tendency to look at the ground while they played. So now you know.