March 6, 2006 | by  | in Music |

Albums for All Occasions: You’ve moved to Uni and Your High School Significant Other Has Not.

The Jesus & Mary Chain – Darklands
Some would like to say Psychocandy. But, no. Feedback and venom carry you only so far. It’s an interesting situation when the girl/guy who completes you refuses to play ball. Interesting? Ok. I’m being patronising. It sucks.

I spent the first three weeks of my ‘freshman’ year crying into my pillow. Darklands didn’t seal the deal, but four years later, it sums up the experience. With lyrics that just sound plain fucking dumb when you try to read them aloud, the appeal of this particular LP is really in the cheery post-Cure pop-orgasm the songs inspire. I’m lying of course. You can’t orgasm without the love of your life. But you can certainly fake it.

‘April Skies’ rips an entire line from Chuck Berry, lyrics and music, ‘Cherry Came Too’ nods to the Beach Boys. But frankly there isn’t anything clever about the J&MC; they just offer utterly perfect 80s pop songs that are frequently hidden under layers of sweat inducing static. On Darklands they dropped the noise and revealed the songs beneath. Simplistic tales of girl-meets-boy; everything goes wrong; they were fucked out of top-ten hits by hair-metal bands and keyboard driven gay-disco. A perfect expression of the pain and pleasure love inspires.

Who cares about Poison now? Huh?

Well, ok. They’ll always make my party mix, but Happy When It Rains has my heart.