March 6, 2006 | by  | in Theatre |

Anything to Declare?

A successful self-written and performed solo show is one of the most difficult, not to mention nerve-wracking experiences for a young actor. In her show about the big OE, Mel Dodge makes it look easy.

Dodge takes us from the irony of travelling across the world for freedom – on a strict itinerary – to the intricate etiquette of hostel masturbation through a variety of diverse and entertaining characters. Dodge’s ability to shift from the fresh faced kiwi girl to the jaded French prostitute to the thuggish football hooligan is seamless, each character a distinct individual that weaves in out of the story. One effortlessly blends into another, and comes together in order to create the complete overseas experience in 35 minutes. Dodge makes great use of a minimalist set using only a backpack and a wooden bench (suitably squeaky for the hilarious and beautifully choreographed sex scene – no mean feat to perform considering it is a solo show!)

The lighting design by Katrina Chandra was another highlight (yeah, I know – bad pun) which complemented Dodge’s acting perfectly, emphasising the moods and attitudes of Dodge’s characters without being overly obtrusive.

Great show, Mel Dodge is definitely a name to look out for!

Written and performed by Mel Dodge
Directed by Rachel More
BATS 25 – 28 February

1