Benson-Pope escapes VUWSA’s wrath

A motion calling for the resignation of Minister for Social Development David Benson-Pope failed at last week’s Student Representative Council (SRC) after the meeting was declared inquorate.

The motion against the beleaguered Labour Minister was moved by Publications Committee student representative and frequent Salient correspondent Nicholas O’Kane at last Wednesday’s SRC.

Although the motion found a seconder, only nine people voted both for and against the motion, forty-one votes short of the quorum of fifty.

The meeting had earlier reached a quorum of fifty-two after around ten minutes of rallying by VUWSA President Nick Kelly. Activities Officer Joel Cosgrove moved a motion opposing last year’s fee increases and spoke for the motion, taunted with cries of “communist” from the crowd. It was passed unanimously.

A motion calling for O’Kane to “shut the fuck up” was suggested but not moved.

What are SRCs?
Student Representative Councils are weekly meetings where students have the chance to debate and set VUWSA policy. They are held in the quad, usually on a Wednesday at 12.50. The quorum is fifty, which in theory should not be hard to reach considering there are around 18,000 students at the University. Motions from the floor are accepted.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos