March 20, 2006 | by  |

Blair to speak at conference – God gets out his notebook

British Prime Minister Tony Blair will be giving a speech at a Victoria organised conference on climate change later this month.

The international conference, to be held at Te Papa from 28-29 of March, will not only have the best line up of international science experts in New Zealand’s recent history, but will be the first time a British Prime Minister has addressed a conference in New Zealand.

Conference organiser and Professor of Policy Studies at Victoria University Jonathan Boston says Blair, speaking from Auckland via video link, may use the forum to reveal a new policy announcement on climate change. Although he will give a short speech, most of his allotted half-hour will be question and answer sessions with TV 3’s John Campbell and former Prime Minister Jim Bolger.

The conference is designed to analyse climate change from both a scientific and policy perspective. Based upon the “verdict” that “climate change induced by human activity is not a theoretical hypothesis; it is in fact a process which is already well under way”, it intends to help shape future policy on climate change.

Another member of the organising committee, Cath Wallace from Victoria’s School of Government, says the conference is timely because of the recent Government change of heart on the carbon tax. “It’s [now] policy with no content,” she says. However, a paper suggesting possible future work programmes is going to cabinet just days after the conference.

Registrations for the conference are still open, with a reduced student charge of $75. More information is available on the website www.vuw.ac.nz/sog/events/info-climate.aspx.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. The Übermensch 38 views
  2. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 31 views
  3. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 26 views
  4. Salient seeks new contributors 24 views
  5. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 21 views
  6. The Bresolin Brothers 18 views
  7. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 15 views
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 15 views
  9. Shovel Knight 14 views
  10. Twitterviews 12 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more