Calling all muppets – Nominations for VUWSA by-election open

Nominations for VUWSA by-elections opened last week, but interest thus far appears to be low.

Voting for the new positions of Environmental Officer, International Student Officer and Queer Officer will begin on 21 March. As in previous years, voting will take place online.

Much like the candidates for the position of Woman’s Rights Officer not having to be a woman, nominees do not have to be environmentalists, international students or queer to run for the positions.

VUWSA President Nick Kelly says the positions were created partly to make VUWSA “more representative”, but they also serve as “three extra hands on deck”. He hopes there will be high interest and voter turnout in the election.

Returns Officer Andrew Wilford says he is “hopeful that this by-election has great student input” and added he hoped students are “aware of what and who they’re voting for”.

Nominations for the positions close on 13 March, and forms are available from the VUWSA office on the ground floor of the student union building.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough