March 20, 2006 | by  | in Music |

Chris Knox and the Nothing

Following a highly successful protest, where eighty of you turned up to the Quad to oppose the raising of your fees (which I’m sure only served to piss off the pale skinned inhabitants of the library more than our evil Faculty overlords), two most excellent bands put on a free concert.

So So Modern are Jeff Bridges, only more like At the Drive-In, starring in that movie Tron. Most of the crowd were there to see them. Though calling such a motley crew of hipsters, hot female fashionistas, drunken pub-crawlers and aging hipsters a crowd is a little disingenuous, as the audience wasn’t large. In the first notes of So So Modern’s set the few, the brave, the beautiful people surged forward, dancing with all the mid-afternoon rapture they could muster. It took a while for the band to work up to the enthusiasm and energy that their music instantly encourages, but you can’t blame them in the harsh light of 4pm. Guitarist/Vocalist/Synth-Jockey Grayson even managed a little good natured run into the drums for a finale. Their fans

left satisfied, in droves, before Chris Knox and the Nothing could even finish sound checking. Which is a shame because they laid out some of the best songs Knox has written, well, since he last wrote any songs.

The Nothing deserved a better showing, but they put on a great show regardless, an amusing three man mosh pit appeared for one of their upbeat punkier numbers and all throughout one particular punter amused himself by cartwheeling backwards and forwards across the room. They warmed to the band

a bit better after Knox acquiesced with ‘Not Given Lightly’ and at the end they sold all of the copies of their album they had brought along. My friends nabbed a copy and we took it down to a bar in town and made the bar-girl play it in its entirety. The songs still impressed the second time around and it was interesting to hear the additional strings and horns that Knox had remarked that we would “just have to imagine” when they were rocking them out live. The Nothing are now travelling to the South by Southwest industry showcase in Texas to play to an even more daunting audience, comprised completely of music critics. Masochists!

With So So Modern
Hunter Lounge, March 10

1