Class Reps out in the cold Vice Chancellor comes to the rescue

Victoria University’s Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh was called in to arrange class-rep training rooms for VUWSA after it was told the Student Union Building had been booked out.

Education Vice President Miri Duffield says VUWSA approached the Union “a long time ago” to secure rooms for class-rep and faculty delegate training in late March, but was told that in some cases the rooms had already been booked out by parties not linked to the University. Duffield and VUWSA President Nick Kelly then sought the help of Walsh, who offered the use of the Hunter Council Chamber.

Manager of the Student Union Complex Rainsforth Dix says she understands the rooms were booked out by clubs as early as November last year. Clubs have always been a priority and the Union is eager to develop its relationship with them. Although the Union did offer VUWSA free use of the Union building on Saturdays, she had not heard back at the time of writing.

Sandra Crews, VUWSA Education Co-ordinator, says the Union “needs to accommodate students more… isn’t that what they’re about?”. She adds that Walsh should not have had to step in to solve the problem. The situation echoes one earlier in the year, when the Vice Chancellor became involved in getting the New Zealand University Student’s Association use of the building for their annual conference.

While Duffield is pleased the problem has been solved, she says that consequently VUWSA has been delayed in getting training timetables out to students.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this