Class Reps out in the cold Vice Chancellor comes to the rescue

Victoria University’s Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh was called in to arrange class-rep training rooms for VUWSA after it was told the Student Union Building had been booked out.

Education Vice President Miri Duffield says VUWSA approached the Union “a long time ago” to secure rooms for class-rep and faculty delegate training in late March, but was told that in some cases the rooms had already been booked out by parties not linked to the University. Duffield and VUWSA President Nick Kelly then sought the help of Walsh, who offered the use of the Hunter Council Chamber.

Manager of the Student Union Complex Rainsforth Dix says she understands the rooms were booked out by clubs as early as November last year. Clubs have always been a priority and the Union is eager to develop its relationship with them. Although the Union did offer VUWSA free use of the Union building on Saturdays, she had not heard back at the time of writing.

Sandra Crews, VUWSA Education Co-ordinator, says the Union “needs to accommodate students more… isn’t that what they’re about?”. She adds that Walsh should not have had to step in to solve the problem. The situation echoes one earlier in the year, when the Vice Chancellor became involved in getting the New Zealand University Student’s Association use of the building for their annual conference.

While Duffield is pleased the problem has been solved, she says that consequently VUWSA has been delayed in getting training timetables out to students.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties