March 6, 2006 | by  | in Film |

Classic Film Review – Edward Scissorhands

I love Tim Burton. He fills the spot reserved for moments of pure black fairytale magic, and Edward Scissorhands is the best example of this.

Set in suburbia where the meticulously manicured lawns are starkly lit by the sunlight, Edward’s (Johnny Depp) gloomy mansion seems to tower oppressively over the pastel-perfect houses. No-one seems to notice Edward’s abode until the Avon lady (Dianne Wiest) decides to sell her wares to the occupants of the mansion. Finding a lonesome Edward unfinished by his inventor (THE Vincent Price) who died years ago, she brings him home and tries to integrate him into suburbia. With scissors as hands, Edward stands out like a red pimple in the middle of a goth’s forehead, but soon he is a celebrity among them as his gift for creating magnificent hedge art and hairstyles is revealed. However, living in a society fuelled by judgement and gossip he rapidly becomes despised. In a society filled with humans, Edward is one of the only humane characters in this melancholic tale.

The fairytale mood of the film is complimented by a brilliant Danny Elfman score. Elfmam has collaborated with Burton on many occasions (Beetlejuice, Big Fish, The Corpse Bride to name a few) and this would have to be one of the best collaborations between the two. It is Depp’s performance that really makes this film the modern classic it is today; I mean, no-one else could look so good in a fetish S & M suit, sans eyebrows as Depp. Together Burton and his muse have always made a great team.

You must watch Edward Scissorhands if you haven’t already, this film is over 15 years old and its message hasn’t lost an ounce of relevance to today’s society.

Directed by Tim Burton (1990)

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan