Constitutional changes afoot?

The deadline for amendments to the VUWSA constitution passed last week, with only four proposals submitted.

VUWSA President Nick Kelly says the changes will give greater clarity and ensure stronger student democracy. The first proposed amendment aims to clarify the rules on conflict of interest for nominees for VUWSA elections. The existing clause, passed last year, states all candidates must inform Salient of all potential conflicts of interest, such as political affiliation or financial interests. As it stood, the clause was too ambiguous and impossible to enforce, says Kelly. Problems included the need to declare potential conflicts on all campaign materials.

If passed, a second amendment will institute individual elections for General Executive positions. Currently, the five highest polling candidates in the General Executive poll are elected, and then they argue the allocation of portfolios of clubs, activities and campaigns and education officers. The amendment would allow students to stand for the position they want to fill.

At the time of writing, two motions from Nicholas O’Kane had also been received. One will seek to remove the two year time limit on presidential terms. The other motion is to change the electoral system of VUWSA elections from first past the post to single transferable vote. This was the system used in the 2004 local government elections in Wellington.

All students will have the opportunity to debate the motions at the IGM next week.

1