Constitutional changes afoot?

The deadline for amendments to the VUWSA constitution passed last week, with only four proposals submitted.

VUWSA President Nick Kelly says the changes will give greater clarity and ensure stronger student democracy. The first proposed amendment aims to clarify the rules on conflict of interest for nominees for VUWSA elections. The existing clause, passed last year, states all candidates must inform Salient of all potential conflicts of interest, such as political affiliation or financial interests. As it stood, the clause was too ambiguous and impossible to enforce, says Kelly. Problems included the need to declare potential conflicts on all campaign materials.

If passed, a second amendment will institute individual elections for General Executive positions. Currently, the five highest polling candidates in the General Executive poll are elected, and then they argue the allocation of portfolios of clubs, activities and campaigns and education officers. The amendment would allow students to stand for the position they want to fill.

At the time of writing, two motions from Nicholas O’Kane had also been received. One will seek to remove the two year time limit on presidential terms. The other motion is to change the electoral system of VUWSA elections from first past the post to single transferable vote. This was the system used in the 2004 local government elections in Wellington.

All students will have the opportunity to debate the motions at the IGM next week.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos