International Experts discuss education Students excluded

The Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) last week hosted a multinational forum of tertiary policy, but students and representatives of New Zealand University staff were not invited.

The forum, held over three days last week, aimed to discuss issues such as future funding models, education quality and student participation. Experts in tertiary education policy came from as far away as the US, Britain and Canada to participate.

Minister for Tertiary Education Michael Cullen says the forum was “well-timed, given the progress that New Zealand is making with its tertiary education system and the thinking going on at the moment about the sector’s future.”

However, neither representatives of the Association of University Staff (AUS) nor the New Zealand Students’ Association (NZUSA) were invited to the first two days of the forum – those closed to the public. Instead NZUSA Co-Presidents Joey Randall and Conor Roberts could only attend the days open to the public, and to the media.

Roberts says although the forum had an “international focus” and it “would have been interesting” to attend. He questioned the ability to have a discussion about tertiary education without a proper opportunity for student input.

Randall added he thought “it was imperative we were able to participate” given “the level to which students should contribute to the cost of tertiary education”

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. My Attention is Broke
  2. WHERE VIRAL DREAMS GO TO DIE
  3. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube