March 20, 2006 | by  | in Books |

my favourite writer is…Louise Erdrich 1954-

The daughter of French Ojibwe mother and German American father, Louise Erdrich’s family influenced her writing life from an early age. “My father used to give me a nickel for each story I wrote, so at an early age I felt myself to be a published author earning substantial royalties.” Although she started out as a poet, this form didn’t leave her enough room to tell the stories she had gathered from her close extended family. Love Medicine (1984), Erdrich’s first novel, earned her a place among America’s greatest novelists. Written as a collection of interrelated short stories, it features four Anishinaabe families: the Kashpaws, the Lamartines, the Pillagers, and the Morrisseys. Weaving between the 1980s and ‘30s, and using various narrators, Erdrich created a world so vivid it leaked into several of her other books, which are all recommended. Before somersaulting into literary royalty aged 30, Erdrich worked as a lifeguard, waitress, poetry teacher at prisons, and a construction flag signaler ­– all of which provided ideas for her novels.

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough