New Pro Vice-ChancellorAppointed

Victoria University has appointed Dr. Roberto Rabel – Vietnam War historian and Director of Otago University’s International Office – as its new Pro Vice-Chancellor (International).

Victoria’s Vice Chancellor Pat Walsh expressed his delight that a “research active academic” had been appointed to the position. Dr Rabel’s “extensive experience in leading an International Office, his deep understanding of the academic challenges in the international portfolio, and his close connection to our international markets and to Victoria University, made him an outstanding candidate”, he said.

Dr. Rabel graduated from Vic in 1978 with a first class BA (Hons) in history and international politics. He went on to study as a Fulbright Scholar at Duke University, gaining his MA in 1980. He received his PhD in American diplomatic history in 1984.

Dr. Rabel said he was thrilled to be returning to Vic. “It’s a rare privilege to be able to join the senior management team of one’s home university, especially at a time when Victoria is excelling on so many fronts.”

In his new position Dr. Rabel hopes to pursue a wide range of international initiatives; including the expansion of student exchange programmes and the development of Vic’s partnerships with leading universities around the world.

Although warning that New Zealand universities are facing real challenges in terms of international recruitment, Dr. Rabel said that he aims to build on Vic International’s highly successful student recruitment programme. Dr. Rabel begins his new role in May. He replaces Professor Neil Quigley, who was appointed to the new role of Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) in September last year.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this