Post-Grads Represent! Class representative system extended

The Vic Students’ Association (VUWSA) and the Post Graduate Students’ Association (PGSA) have collaborated to extend the class rep system to post graduate courses.

PGSA Academic Vice President Amy Mitchell says the past few years have seen an increase in post grad students coming to both associations with grievances that could have been dealt at an earlier stage had there been proper representation.

Class reps are elected or chosen in each undergraduate class to provide a link between lecturers, students and VUWSA. The extension to the system will see class reps in taught post-graduate papers, especially honours classes.

Mitchell says honours students, stuck between undergraduates and Masters students, often “kind of get lost in the University system.” The PGSA want them to be as well represented as under grads, and more advocacy services are on
the way.

Although the extension to the class rep system is not yet University policy, Vice Chancellor Pat Walsh is said to have given his support. While only a voluntary trial at present, VUWSA Education Vice President Miri Duffield says she has so far had “heaps” of volunteers. Post grad class reps are welcome to come to any of the training classes, she says.

In other post grad news, the PGSA AGM is next Wednesday at 5 pm in the seminar room, 20 Kelburn Parade. All post-graduates are welcome for discussion and pizza.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1