March 20, 2006 | by  | in Music |

The Whipping Cats

Auckland’s UNITEC is a long way from Louisiana, but the Whipping Cats don’t seem to have noticed. Born out of a meeting at the School of Design in 2004, lead vocalist/guitarist Vincent jokes; “I guess we’re an art school band.” Their stripped back southern stomp of raucous country and swampy blues couldn’t be anything further from the calculated image such a term conjures.

Their interesting sound grew organically from when his friend Straton expressed interest in learning an instrument, so picking up a harmonica and jamming on acoustic guitar led to its inevitable conclusion. Straton, having inherited a love of country from his grandparents and Vincent, bringing his own interest in the blues to the table. With Chanel joining to assault the drums, they were ready to start disturbing audiences around the country with their sinister visions of Appalachia.

Having spent the last year gigging, developing a following in their hometown and honing their

craft, sometimes while Vincent went off to drum with his other band

Teenwolf, last month they recorded their debut EP, The Whipping Cats present: The Gruesome Numbers. Hot off the presses this 5-song beauty will be available to buy at their upcoming tour dates on A LOW HUM.

This month’s A LOW HUM tour consists of bluesy Hendrix sexpots Connan and the Mockasins, racing themed rockers Grand Prix and the Whipping Cats. They’ll be playing two shows at Indigo on Friday the 24th, an all-ages bash at 6 pm and the alcoholic gig proper from 8 pm. For an all too reasonable fee on top of your entry you get yourself a copy of the latest A LOW HUM magazine and two CDs.

1