This is mould…

VUWSA Exec members are angry and concerned for their reputation after accidentally feeding mouldy bread to students at a free sausage sizzle last week.

The bread, reportedly purchased by Activities Officer Joel Cosgrove on the morning of the sausage sizzle, had small spots of bluey-green coloured mould growing on several pieces. The date of expiry was alleged to have been 26 February, four days before the bread was sold.

Cosgrove was outraged: “you buy bread on the assumption that you can eat the bread, not to watch it go mouldy. That’s not my thing”, he says. Although he was determined to speak with the owner of the dairy that sold the bread, at the time of publication he had been too busy.

Education Vice-President Miri Duffield says the incident was “deeply regrettable”.

The bread had been given to several students, including this humble reporter, before the existence of the mould was discovered. The sausage sizzle was shut down after General Exec member Delia Timms spotted the mould.

Although eating mould can, in some cases, cause illnesses, stomachs capable of ingesting what the Mount Street Bar and Cafe optimistically calls food should have no problem coping.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties