Vic opens Vietnam campus

Victoria University has spread its tentacles wider once more, opening a campus in Vietnam late last year.

The facilities at the Ho Chi Minh city campus of Vietnam’s University of Economics allow students in Vietnam to study Victoria’s Commerce and Administration papers without having to leave their country.

The opening of the facilities is the latest development in an ongoing twinning arrangement between Victoria and the University of Economics in Vietnam. From 2001 students at the University of Economics could study first year commerce papers. Vietnamese students can now be fully enrolled at Victoria and taught by Victoria staff.

More subjects and degrees are expected to be offered in the future.

The twinning arrangement was the brainchild of former Pro-Vice Chancellor (International) Neil Quigley, who has recently been promoted. Quigley has been credited with keeping Victoria’s international student enrollments relatively stable at the same time as international enrollments have been dropping nation wide.

A recent report by Wellington Education International shows the numbers of international students coming to Wellington dropped over the past year. However, though Vic’s enrollment figures are not yet available, it is reported that international student enrollments have not dropped as much as other institutions

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1