Women’s Day Events a flop – Despite friendship bracelets

Attendance was sparse at last Wednesday’s International Women’s Day celebrations, in spite of the wide range of activities on offer.

Organised by VUWSA Women’s Rights Officer Caroline Prendergast and various other groups, a number of events were scheduled to celebrate the day. Highlights included workshops on friendship-bracelet-making and screen-printing, a movie night, and presentations by women’s groups.

Prendergast describes the purpose of Women’s Day as “a day for everyone to celebrate the work of women, both paid and unpaid. We celebrate the huge increase of women in the workforce. It’s also a day for us to take stock of what we have achieved and what still needs to be achieved, such as equal pay and appropriate childcare.”

Attendance was minimal, although the events had been advertised around campus for over a month. Poor weather also contributed to the low numbers, with events at Pipitea abandoned. However, Prendergast was pleased with the turnout, especially the movie night which “went really well”.

A few men even choose to let their hair down for the occasion, with the exception of the friendship-bracelet-making class.

International Men’s Day, observed on November 19, goes by unnoticed at Victoria. This year will be no exception.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

7. International Queer in Review
  8. Rostra’s Hot Takes – Queerlient
  9. Issue 14 – Queerlient
  10. Interview with Claudia Jardine