April 3, 2006 | by  | in Music |

Albums for All Occasions: Pull Your Socks Up and Keep On Keeping On

A- Hi Fi Serious

In general, I’m not a fan of those people who thrive on cheer. You know, the ones who in the face of calamity will tell you in the chirpiest of tones, to get out of bed, “put a smile on your dial,” “keep your chin up,” or some other such cliché. I prefer staying in bed, sulking, crying, and all-round wallowing. In the long term it’s better to embrace your blues rather than supress them, I find. Sometimes, though, you have to get out of bed. You have to go to work, write an essay, or fake a cheerful phone call to Mum. When events conspire against me and I have get up and function like a normal human, it’s the same album I reach for each time to induce that false sense of clear-headedness and happiness. It’s a guilty pleasure for me, this album. On the pop extreme of the pop punk scale, these “Sarf Lunnin” scallies are all cheesy keys, ridiculous solos and lyrics like “don’t want your job in Starbucks” and “it’s OK to beat the living shit from your drum kit.” Mock if you must, you who know this album, but few other albums have the ability to put an inane smile on my face and make me believe, for thirty minutes, that life is a joyful romp of slagging off Pop Idol and having humorous fights about mismatched underwear and football with a partner. This album soundtracked a stormy London year for me, and I’m unwilling to let it go, no matter how naff it sounds. Songs about being paranoid in the tube at night, plane crashes and L.A. never sounded so damn catchy. Everyone needs an album like this – something that, like cheap chocolate and coffee with too much sugar, is guaranteed to provide that unhealthy rush to get you through the day. Hi-Fi Serious, along with a latte, two cans of Red Bull, a KitKat and a pack of cigarettes, is an essential part of my emergency supplies kit.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos